Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Prateek Shetty(2010): How my final year project landed me in Job


Hi all,
           It gives me immense pleasure to share my experience with all you juniors.  Here is a small article on how my final year project helped me get a job! Ravindra Sir had asked me to write this long back, but due to my busy schedule I couldn’t. I believe it’s better late than never, so this is how it goes…
           Once you enter your final year the search for the project group starts. And after the group is formed, starts the hunt for the project topic. Can say it as the most vital part of the project.  Some think of the marks they are going to score if they take up a particular project and some think of the things they can learn while doing the project. This reminds me of what my friend Rohan Nayak used to say, “It doesn’t matter how much you score in your project, what matters is how much you learn out of it”. And remember, if all you want is to get some marks there are easy ways out. But we chose the hard way and under the guidance of Ravindra Sir and mentorship of Mr. Nikhil Kulkarni from Minglebox, we started our project ‘Social Network Aggregator’.
            To say in brief about the project, we wanted to do something that has real world application, a product. We can call it as a WEB 3.0 application that aggregates data from different social networks. We aggregated data from Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, through which one can upload his status simultaneously on all three networks. It’s been done using the API’s provided by these networking sites, protocol called OAuth for user authentication, and PHP. They say that getting a job off campus is nut cracking experience. But in reality, if you are good there are always people ready to hire you. I will be always thankful to Ravindra Sir for offering me an opportunity, and I made the best out of it. I proudly tell that I had got offers from two companies!! Out of which I chose InfoBridge Solutions, Pune. I was hired as a PHP developer.  Learning experience and exposure a fresher gets in a small company or a startup can never be compared with that of the IT giants!!
            That’s all I got to say fellas, all the best for your project and future. Thank you Ravindra Sir, for giving me this opportunity.

Regards,
Prateek Shetty
Jr Software Developer,
InfoBridge Solutions, Pune.
Email: prtek.shetty@gmail.com

1 comment: